Domain name redirection is a method of directing a domain name to another. The redirection can be implemented to prevent broken links or even for link shortening purposes.
To redirect a domain name, you can change the settings found in the control Panel section of your registrar platform. Here is the step by step process to redirecting domain names:
- First, you need to login to your cPanel account.
- Once you are logged in you will be taken to the dashboard, and from there you need to go to the domains dashboard and click on redirect.
- Once you click on redirect, you will be asked to choose an option from the 2 options, one which is a 301 redirect (for permanent redirect) and the other one which is a 302 redirect (for temporary redirect). You need to use the relevant option for your domain to continue with the domain redirect.
- You need to select the correct domain you wish to redirect.
- Finally, you need to put in the URL to which you wish to redirect the domain name.
- Once all the steps are completed successfully as explained, your domain redirection will be done so you can click on the finish button.
However, if you are using GoDaddy to purchase your domain then the domain redirect becomes easier. Here is a step by step guide on how to redirect domain name on GoDaddy:
- Login to your GoDaddy account.
- Click on domains.
- Select the domain you want to redirect.
- Click on manage connection.
- You will get the form you need to fill to redirect the domain. So enter the URL to which you wish to redirect the domain name. Select any one among the 301 redirect, which is for permanent redirect and the 302 which is for temporary redirect. Select forwarding only or forwarding with masking. Fill in the SEO details.
- Once all the fields in the form are filled click on ‘‘save’’ and your domain will the redirected or forwarded.
Web forwarding is a redirection method used when you want your visitors to be automatically redirected to a different URL. On the other hand, masking keeps your domain name in the browser’s address bar, to prevent visitors from seeing it.
The above are 2 ways of redirecting your domain name. Both steps are very easy to follow in their own way.
— Kety Perry (@IamKetyPerry) 22 de febrero de 2017